So, what’s the big deal about homosexual behavior?
(And what is wrong with humanity)
Main Verse: (Romans 1:18-27)
Key Thought: The world is broken. To some, that may be surprising since we have been living with scientific advancements for close to three centuries. The hope is to fix our world through pure know-how and human ingenuity. And yet, it seems with each passing generation. We just keep finding new ways to hurt each other, destroy the planet and bring untold harm to our very souls. What is wrong with us? Paul has an answer- and it is not pretty. Paul asserts that we have suppressed the truth and have worshiped the creation over the Creator.
Three Key Thoughts on Humans and Sex
- Everyone has failed in the area
- Sex is Spiritual
- Humans have a purpose
Three Points for Clarity on Homosexuality
- Some people have same sex attractions
- God does not hate these people (homosexual people)
- The Gospel rescues us not just from a particular sin- but our sinful selves.
1. The Gospel makes sense if, and only if, sin is a real threat. (1:18-20, connected to vs 16-17)
- There is no such thing as forgiveness if there is no such thing as wrong
- There is no need for the cross, if there is no real sin
- There is no need for the Gospel, if there is no such thing as rebellion against God.
- So we need to retrain ourselves. Every time we see the brokenness
- Our first thought should be- this is the absence of the Gospel (and an opportunity for the Gospel)
Extremes- The Gospel can’t change you // You don’t need to change
2. There are two ways that we are guilty (18-20)
- Our willful behavior
- Our willful ignorance
- And the existence of God is a logical conclusion to the existence of creation
God can exist without a universe. But a universe cannot exist without God. (cosmological argument for God’s existence)
3. What does this look like (22-25)
- It’s an exchange or worship of the creation instead of the creator.
- This is modern-day idolatry
4. What is the results of 26
- God lets us have your small deity of sexuality
- The phrasing here matches that of Plato, Ovid, Plutarch, and Psuedo-Phocylides when they spoke of homo-erotic behavior.
- Thus homosexual behavior is a form of idolatry
- Quote from page 111
Homosexuality made the sin list. But so did your sin.
Identify a way that you are tempted to worship the creation (give me ultimately in hope, meaning, and purpose) over the Creator.
How can you let your creation experience inspire you to worship God, your Creator?
Church to become full disciples of Christ. We provide you with sermon notes and a complete study guide companion for this series. For this sermon, I am also providing a paper that I wrote about this issue. This paper briefly marks the cultural and historical trends that have brought our world to this moment. I also provide an exegesis of the relevant passages if you would like to look at a copy of this paper.
TALK IT OUT:
- The world is broken. Despite nonstop scientific advancements over the last three centuries, we keep finding new ways to hurt each other, destroy the planet and bring untold harm to our souls. Paul asserts we’ve suppressed the truth and worshipped the creation over the Creator? In your opinion why do we tend to hurt ourselves and one another when we leave God out of our lives?
- Pastor Rusty makes three points about homosexuality: 1) Some people have same sex attractions, 2) God does not hate homosexual people, and 3) The Gospel rescues us not just from a particular sin— but from our sinfulness. How can recognizing our own sinfulness help us understand the importance of the Gospel?
- According to Romans 1:16-20 we must recognize sinfulness in ourselves and our world or we will not recognize our own rebellion against God. Pastor Rusty says, “Every time we see the brokenness— our first thought should be— this is the absence of the Gospel (and an opportunity for the Gospel).” What part has your sinfulness played in helping you realize how much you need God?
- This passage makes the point that we’re guilty through our own “willful behavior” and our “willful ignorance.” Which of these two do you struggle most with personally?
- The Apostle Paul says that people tend to exchange or worship the creation instead of worshipping the Creator. Pastor Rusty calls this “modern day idolatry.” How does this tend to play out in today’s world?
- Homosexuality made the list of sins at the end of Romans 1, however, if we’re honest all of us find our own sin in that list. God included sins we tend to consider large and sins we tend to minimize? What lesson is God wanting us to learn?
LIVE IT OUT
- Make a list of three to five ways you’re tempted to worship the creation instead of the Creator? Consider for a moment why this is such a temptation for you.
- Pause to confess your sinful rebellion to God and ask Him to forgive you.
- Make a list of three to five ways your experience of creation inspires you to worship God.
- Pause now to express your worship to God for both His forgiveness and for His goodness.