There is an epidemic that is killing us: loneliness.
A recent survey of 20,000 U.S. adults – Cigna & Ipsos (2018) cigna.com/newsroom/news
- 40% – almost half report feeling alone
- 47% – or left out
- 27% – feel they are not understood
- 43% – feel relations are not meaningful or they feel isolated
Bottom Line Finding: In all the findings, a lack of meaningful human connectedness is paramount.
What if there were a cure to loneliness that was
God has provided for us a network that can alleviate loneliness while adding value and meaning to our existence here on planet Earth. His solution is called the Church. – Acts 2:42-47
Why bother going to Church?
1. You can grow
- In understanding – “devoted to the Apostle’s teaching”
- In relationship – “to the fellowship”
- In devotion – “breaking bread”, “prayer”
2. You can see God do amazing things that only happen in this community – Acts 2:43
Maybe you believe this: I am reluctant to believe in miracles because miracles are contrary to human experience.
3. You can participate in the crazy flood of generosity – Acts 2:45
And the Lord added to their numbers daily those who were being saved.
Is the Lord speaking to you today about salvation?
TALK IT OUT
- Pastor Rusty shared the results of a recent study of 20,000 U. S. adults. He reported that 40% of people say they feel alone, 47% feel left out, 23% say they feel they are not understood, and 43% say they feel relations aren’t meaningful & that they feel isolated. Why do you think so many Americans feel so disconnected today?
- Pastor Rusty made the point that God has provided for us a network that can alleviate loneliness while adding value and meaning to our existence here on planet Earth. His solution is called the Church. How does our church family make you feel less lonely? How has the Concord church family helped you connect with God and others?
- How might Concord do an even better job of helping people feel connected to both God and our church family?
- In Acts 2:42 we learn the early church was devoted to: 1) understanding God’s word, 2) developing close friendships with others, (fellowship) and 3) to worshipping God together (breaking bread and prayer). Do you feel connected to others at Concord as you study, fellowship and worship with them?
- How has our church family helped strengthen your faith since you began attending Concord?
- How have you seen God work in your life and in the lives of others since you became part of the Concord family?
- How does being part of something larger than yourself help you find meaning in life?
LIVE IT OUT
- Who do you know that might need the encouragement of your friendship right now? List at least 3 people who need you to be their friend.
- List at least 3 ways you can be a friend this week to each of the people you just listed?
- Think of someone in the church family who has been a blessing to you and contact them this week to let them know how they have encouraged you.
- Take a moment to thank God for our church family. Ask Him to use you to bless those who need encouragement right now.