Today’s Heroes – EMT / Doctors / Healthcare Professionals
They bring healing without judgement
The Star of Life
- Origins in Greek mythology
- Growing evidence that it is tied to an older story from the Old Testament.
In the Old Testament, what emotions do humans experience in when they are in God’s presence?
- Job 40:4-5
- Ex 20:18, 19, 21
- Isa 6:5
Do you fear that God…
- does not love you (or even like you)?
- wants to punish you?
- is mad at you?
- can’t look beyond your mistakes?
- is constantly frustrated with your lack of discipline?
- is embarrassed by your addictions?
- has just moved on without you?
In John 3:1-17 we see two people in an important conversation. In this dialogue, each person represents one of the two ways of approaching God.
- One way is out of fear – I am afraid that…
- The others is out of faith – I am trusting in..
Jesus, brings healing without judgement
Would you be willing to believe and receive?
TALK IT OUT
- Read Exodus 20:18-19, Job 25: 4-6, Job 40:4-5 and Isaiah 6:5. What are some of the emotions people experienced as they encountered God in these Old Testament passages? Have you ever experienced similar emotions in your own encounters with God? Give an example.
- Read Numbers 21:4-9, John 3:14-15 and Galatians 3:13-14. In what ways is Jesus’ being lifted up on the cross similar to the bronze serpent being lifted up on the pole in the wilderness? In what ways are these events different?
- Many benefits and rewards in this life tend to be tied to our performance: grades, bonuses, promotions, etc. Because of that, it’s natural to think that our relationship with God is dependent upon our performance as well. Read Ephesians 2:8-9. According to this passage, how much does being a good person factor into how much God loves us?
- In 1 John 4:16, we read, “We have known and believed the love that God has for us.” What is the difference between simply knowing something and believing it?
- Read John 3:16-17, Romans 5:6-11 and Ephesians 2:4-7. What reasons do these passages give us for believing the love God has for us?
LIVE IT OUT
- Do you tend to approach God more out of fear or out of faith? Why? What lesson can you apply from this week’s message to help take your relationship with God to a deeper level?
- Have you believed and received the love God has for you? If not, what is keeping you from doing that right now?