- Jesus is the King
- We are part of Jesus’ new kingdom
- Jesus teaches us how to live in this kingdom
- It’s outdated
- It’s hard to understand
- I disagree with parts I do understand
Three Modern Myths That Fuel Distrust Of The Bible
- Naturalism is the preferred explanation for everything
- Progress is always good
- Authenticity is superior to authority
Key Point – Matthew 5:17-20
- Everyone has an opinion about the Bible.
- Have you considered Jesus’ opinion about the Bible?
- Jesus brings a radical approach to the Bible because He has a radically different relationship with the Bible – Matthew 5:17
Not “abolish” (καταλύω—tear down, absolve, as in the ending of a government)
But rather “fulfill” (πληρόω—to make full, complete, or satisfy)
- Jesus clarifies the permanency of the Bible – Matthew 5:18
As long as Jesus is still working in the world, the Bible is still applicable for the world.
- Greatness is attainable. It is through practicing and teaching these commands – Matthew 5:19-20
The Old Testament is authoritative and can be trusted. But it must be read through the person of Christ, for the entire Old Testament is about Christ.
Let’s Apply – Murder, Adultery
Key Question: What do you believe about the Bible?
Your Pastor Believes The Following: Holy Scripture, being God’s own Word, written by men prepared and superintended by His Spirit, is of infallible divine authority in all matters upon which it touches: it is to be believed, as God’s instruction, in all that it affirms; obeyed, as God’s command, in all that it requires; embraced, as God’s pledge, in all that it promises. – The Chicago Statement of Biblical Inerrancy, 1978
TALK IT OUT
- What is your opinion of the Bible? Why do you think Jesus’ opinion
should matter to us today?
- Have you ever had trouble understanding the Bible and how it relates
to your life? In contrast, have you had moments when God used a
sermon, a lesson, or scripture itself to speak to you?
- Read 1 Corinthians 2:9-16. Based upon this passage, we learn that
the Holy Spirit guides us to correctly understand the message and
work of God. How does this relate to understanding the Bible?
- Many people complain that the Bible is outdated, difficult to
understand, and that it doesn’t make sense. How might realizing that we
need God’s help to understand scripture aid us in making sense of
- Is it surprising that a God who knows everything might not always
make perfect sense to us since none of us know a fraction of what
- Read Proverbs 14:12 and 16:25. Have you noticed that sometimes
the things we believe will make things better actually make things
worse? Why does it make sense to trust God’s word even if we don’t
always fully understand it?
- Matthew 5:17-18 demonstrates that Jesus had great respect for the
Bible and that he did not come to destroy it but to bring about what it
says. What does this suggest about how we should understand and
relate to scripture?
LIVE IT OUT
- What steps do you need to take to help you regularly read the Bible? Ask God to help you take those steps right now.
- Ask God to help you through his Holy Spirit to understand the Bible in ways you have never been able to understand it.
- Each time you read the Bible, ask God to help you understand and apply it.