What difference does God make? Because the difference that God makes, makes all the difference in the world.
- Paul led a successful campaign in Thessalonica
- Paul and Silas were banned from Thessalonica
- Paul commissioned an untested Timothy to represent him
- Timothy traveled between Athens and Thessalonica giving Paul and Silas updates
Last Week – Big trials build big faith
This Week – Big trials build big faith (but there’s a risk)
Paul was afraid that the moment of trial would lead to
Here’s what the lie looks like – I’m having a hard time right now, so I deserve [blank].
Paul’s point – Moments of building big faith can also be moments of big temptation.
A Few Observations
- Godly character (pleasing God) happens in the day-to-day moments of life
- Temptation can be better understood and dealt with when it’s openly discussed
- These rules of about purity come from Jesus
What Can We Learn?
- God wants purity for you
- Learn to control your own body (I have a body, and I should be in control of that body.)
- Christian sexual ethics have always been out of step with the broader culture
How To Win The Respect Of Others
- Love one another
- Lead a quiet life
- Stay busy with your own business
1 Thessalonians 4:1-12
TALK IT OUT
- Read 1 Thessalonians 3:5. Paul was concerned that as external pressure on the Thessalonian church increased, so would the likelihood that they might give in to temptation. Do you think that concern was valid? Why or why not?
- Read 1 Thessalonians 4:3. Even in our times of restricted social contact, opportunities for sexual immorality still abound. Give some examples.
- Read Psalm 119:89,152,160 and Hebrews 13:8. Today’s cultural norms would have us believe that the moral principles found in the Bible are outdated and no longer apply to us today. In light of these verses, would you agree or disagree with that belief? Why or why not?
- Read 1 Corinthians 6:15-20. According to this passage, why does it matter what we do with our bodies?
- Read 1 Thessalonians 4:9-12. What guidelines does Paul give us for living in a world that holds different beliefs than we do? Why do you think these practices might influence those around us?
LIVE IT OUT
- What are the biggest temptations you find yourself facing during this COVID-19 crisis? What steps are you taking to deal with them?
- What about the way you live your life do you think has gained the respect of unbelievers? Is there anything you could do differently to increase that level of respect?